How to plan the perfect engagement session
Planning an engagement session can be exciting but also difficult. Let's face it, you don't want your special engagement session looking like any of your friends. You want to have your session be amazing and highlight filled. This article can help you so that you can have a session that you will not forget.
Here are a few steps to help you plan your engagement session
- Choose a date & time: Consider when you are looking to have your images produced. Typically people like to send out "Save the dates" 6-9 months before the wedding date (longer for destination weddings). Count for a minimum of 4 weeks for images to get back and retouches to be selected to ensure that you are not crunched for time. Also, your session should be early morning or late evening to avoid any harsh shadows in photos.
- Select your wedding photographer: Selecting a wedding photographer is important because they will be telling your story. The engagement session is a perfect time for you both to get to know one another and them to learn your style. You also want to make sure that they can shoot in the location where you met. Questions to ask are
- Do you shoot with off camera flash
- Have you ever photographed at this location before
- Plan out your outfit(s): Planning out your outfits is important. Your outfits should be revolving around something that is special to you. Here are some ideas for when you are planning:
- Greek para from your respective organizations
- High School/College gear
- Formal wear
- Get clearance from your school/location: There's nothing more awkward than showing up to a session and not being cleared to shoot there. Make sure that you get clearance from your school to be able to photograph. Consider making a "donation" to the school to smooth things over/gain access to special locations. Little donation can go a long way.
- Bring a love one to assist: Having a team is important. Someone that can help you with your hair, outfit, or even give you a pep talk during your session. Having that go to person to help can help your session go so much better.
**Bonus** Have some fun: This is the first step towards your big day. Your emotions will show in your images so make sure that you are having fun so that people can see your personality come through your photos.